Monday, February 18, 2008

Bodies – The Exhibition



Chuck and I along with our friend, Emily, took off on Saturday to visit “Bodies, The Exhibition” at the Cincinnati Museum Center. There were so many people that the parking lot was filled and Chuck had to park on a street next to the museum.

We have seen other exhibits at the museum but none has ever made an impact like this one on me. I moved from display to display with the words “fearfully and wonderfully made.” The design and interdependence of each system spoke of an “otherness” to me. I can still see the “skeleton” of just the arteries, veins and capillaries of the body from head to toe. Yes, capillaries which were an amazing mesh of red strings. We were also taken by the “map” of the central nervous system laying out the main nerves that run from the brain to the limbs. I am way past experiencing a childlike awe that comes from a new discovery but these exhibits threw me back to that feeling. Its one thing to look at a diagram in a book or a model but its surreal to actually see the reality of what lies under your own skin mirrored in front of you.

There was a section of the exhibit that contained different stages of fetuses. There was a warning and an exit so you entered this section by choice. I don’t regret going through that section because it only confirmed my stance against abortion. Of course, I do acknowledge the gray areas like the 10 year old who just delivered a baby as a result of rape. But this exhibit is yet another tool that reveals that life is visible in a matter of days.

Then there’s the ethical question of whether or not these bodies should have been used in this way. We did not see the special on 20/20 about the exhibit but Chuck had taped it. We weren't aware of the articles such as this one from ABC News. We watched the 20/20 segment later that day and debated whether or not we would have gone. Chuck is sure he would not have and I am still on the fence. As a teacher I saw it as one of the best teaching tools that I have ever seen. I really have a desire to take much better care of myself than I do. I don’t smoke but there were lungs of a smoker next to a plexiglass case where several people had dropped their packs of cigarettes after viewing the black lungs. I could see this giving the younger generation a new regard for their bodies and some even encouraged to pursue a career in a medical field. I can only hope that these people were treated with dignity and respect. I suspect that was not always the case. It was apparent that there was a reverence and respect around each body as people spoke in whispers and refrained from touching what is now plastic. Hopefully, these bodies will bring honor to the souls that once rested in them.

No comments: