Thursday, January 10, 2008

Introduction

I am an avid blog reader. This endeavor will determine if I am a blog writer. I need to let you know that this may not be the best time for me to start blogging. My husband and I have recently left a church and there is a residual sense of failure and frustration. I had already left a church in 2006 and I processed that leaving to the point that I really don’t have much left in me to put the time and energy into processing this second leaving. In the 2006 leaving I went to counseling so I could understand my part and to try to not repeat the same patterns. Apparently, I did. But no matter how much processing or counseling I’ve done, these are life events that have changed me and I will carry forever.

So, I preface this first entry with these experiences so whoever reads this is aware that my journey has become more about moving away from the church than toward it. I can say that no matter what my experience has been with the church that I have always been drawn, intrigued, and tethered to the divine.

When I left the first church there were a few women who figured out how to attend that church and still maintain a relationship with me. I owe much of my healing to them. I still ached for others to reach out to me from that community. And the realization that I had caused pain to others haunts me. I compared it to a divorce and the father (or the lead pastor, in this case) got the kids and the house.


In this most recent departure I am very grateful that we will be able to continue building relationships with a small group. I have their permission to write about our discussions and I hope their comments will clarify anything that has come through my filter. As I have already confessed, my filter is biased. I will try to be clear when thoughts are going through my filter but I’m sure there will be some overlap. They know they can slap my hand when I misrepresent them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deb, for what it's worth, I don't think leaving the second church indicates a pattern in your behavior. I have met so many people in the past five years who are having exactly the same struggles with the church. As you pointed out, you walked away from a church, not the Divine.

Mike said...

My wife and I left our church years back it wasn't pretty. I on the other hand did walk away from God along with the church. Not immediately but over time. He chased me down and pulled me back, now we are at a new church, and i'm in the process of rebuilding my relationship with God after all the years of mess. I found your blog when searching for a pic for my blog. It was the inflatable church pic. While here I started reading, I liked it so far, so i'm gonna read the whole thing in order.